Course reserves provide access to academic course readings and other course-related materials to support instruction. Faculty and staff can access reserves within Blackboard.
Students can access the list of all items on reserve for a course within Blackboard. Any electronic resources on reserve are accessible there.
Physical books, DVDs, and other items on reserve are available by request in the branch listed on Blackboard. The location of a physical reserve item is given by the following short codes:
AN = MD Anderson Library
AR = Art & Architecture Library
MU = Music Library
OP = Optometry Library
- Please have the item title, course number, or the instructor’s name when requesting a reserve item.
- Most reserve items stay in the library and check out for 2 hours. These items have an overdue fine of $1 per hour.
- Reserves that may leave the library check out from 2 days to 3 weeks, depending on the item. These have an overdue fine of $3 per day.
- There are no renewals on reserve items.
Scans or copies of a reserve item can be made using scanners and photocopiers. Please observe copyright law when making copies or scans of reserves items.
For faculty & instructors
Faculty can access reserves within Blackboard to manage materials and post electronic items.
- Log in to Blackboard,
- Select the course to manage reserves for
- Select Course Tools from the left menu
- Select Course Reserve Administration
- The reserves management system (Ares) appears within Blackboard
- Reserve items are added by selecting Add Reserve Items.
Faculty may place file uploads or URLs on reserve, bring materials to the library, or have staff pull items off the shelf. Read the full UH Libraries reserve policy for more information.
General reserve questions: MD Anderson Library Service Desk, (713) 743-9710.
Specific questions on reserves or using the reserves system: Reserves Manager, (713) 743-9730 or email@example.com.
For reserve materials located at subject branches, please contact the appropriate location: