It’s finals time at the University of Houston! Multiple exams and projects due all at once can be overwhelming, so your friendly UH librarians have offered tips to help you succeed at the end of the semester. Happy studying!
- Plan your study sessions wisely. If your final is a few days away, take time each day to study and review so that you’re not cramming the night before. Studying for a later final can also be a break between intensive studying for a final that is happening sooner.
- Get rest and don’t ignore your health. If you need to set reminders to eat healthy or sleep, do so! Stay hydrated, and go easy on the caffeine, which can zap your energy and focus at high levels.
- Take time for self-care. Work out, color, nap, take a walk, see friends, listen to music or podcasts, and take breaks in order to combat stress and fatigue.
- Surround yourself with positivity. Study with motivated classmates, post sticky notes with affirmations in your study space, and reward yourself. If you’ve gone to class regularly, studied hard, and did well throughout the semester, you’ve got the final down!
- Temporarily turn off notifications from your social media accounts or give yourself an internet curfew. The goal is to minimize unnecessary distraction.
- Relax and take deep breaths. It is not the end of the world. The end of finals and winter break is just beyond the horizon; no matter what happens in the next week, you will be done with the semester when you reach the other side of it!
- The library is here for you. Whether you need a place to study, take a break at Paws and Relax or Finals Mania, or if you need assistance finding those last few sources for your paper, UH Libraries can help in a variety of ways.