Laptop Borrowing Policies
The following policies are in place for laptops borrowed from MD Anderson Library.
You are expected to:
- Treat all library equipment responsibly so that others may use them after return
- Return laptops and other equipment on or before the due date and due time, if applicable. If no due time is given, return the item before MD Anderson Library closes on the due date.
- Maintain email and mailing addresses with the Libraries. Failure to receive a due date reminder or overdue notice is not an excuse for late returns
- Follow the Libraries Code of Conduct. Failure to do so may result in suspension of laptop privileges
- Due date reminders and overdue notices are sent as a courtesy. Failure to receive a reminder or notice is not an excuse for late returns
- Your responsibilities end when the laptop is returned to the Service Desk in MD Anderson Library
- Return receipts for returned laptops are available on request
Laptop privileges or other privileges may be suspended for irresponsible use, including but not limited to:
- Equipment damage
- Repeated and/or accrued late fines
- Deliberately keeping equipment that others need
- Attempting to modify or install unauthorized software or hardware
Late fines and fees
The laptop borrower is responsible for paying all fines and fees.
|Overdue fine||$9/each day overdue|
This fine replaces overdue fines for laptops overdue 30+ days and lost laptops
Added to laptops overdue 30+ days overdue and lost laptops
|Billing service fee|
This fine replaces the replacement fine if a lost laptop is returned within 60 days
- The max overdue fine is $135 (accrued after 15 days)
- Replacement fees may be canceled or refunded if the laptop is returned within 60 days of the original due date. The laptop borrower is responsible for the $270 billing service fee and $25 processing fee in that instance
Penalties for late returns
In addition to fines, laptops that are overdue by 2 days or more result in the following penalties:
|First incident||Verbal warning and note added to patron record|
|Second incident||1 week suspension of equipment borrowing prvileges|
|Third incident||1 month suspension of equipment borrowing privileges|
|Fourth incident and beyond||Indefinite suspension of equipment borrowing privileges and referral to the Dean of Students office|
Need help? Have a question?
If you need additional information, or have extenuating circumstances regarding your borrowed laptop, please contact:
MD Anderson Library Service Desk
Please ask for the manager to talk about your situation.