Borrow & Renew
Library Catalog Account
Your Cougar Card is your library card.
All UH students, faculty, and staff can borrow from the library, free of charge.
To borrow an item:
- Locate the item on the library shelf using the call number
- Take the item to the library’s service desk
- Have your Cougar Card ready. If you do not have it with you, you can use your myUH number
- After checking out, please return the item before its due date/time
You can see the due dates on your borrowed items online, log-in to your library account.
Place a hold
You can also place a hold on an item and pick it up at a location of your choice.
To place a hold:
- Locate the item in the classic catalog
- Select the Request button () at the top of the catalog page for the item
- Log-in using your myUH number
- Select your pick-up location
- Submit the hold request
If the item is available, it will be ready for pick-up in 2 to 3 business days. We’ll email you when it’s ready.
Borrowing time limits
The table below shows how long you may borrow general collection library items.
|Lending period||Item limit|
|Undergraduates||6 weeks||99 items|
|Graduate students||15 weeks||250 items|
|Staff||6 weeks||99 items|
See our library privileges policies for more information.
Some items may have shorter lending periods, including:
- Any items borrowed from UH Clear Lake, UH Downtown, or UH Victoria
- DVDs and Blu-ray
- Technology equipment
- Reserve items
Some items carry fines if they are returned late.
Is what you need checked out already?
There are two options if an item is already checked out:
- Hold request: Select the Request button () at the top of the catalog page and log-in. Requests for checked-out items are ready after the item is returned and delivered to your pick-up location.
- Quickloan: QuickLoan creates an interlibrary loan (ILL) request automatically to borrow the item you need from a non-UH library. QuickLoan is only available if all UH system copies are checked out.
Select the QuickLoan button () on the catalog page for the item and log-in to ILLiad. You may need to create an ILLiad account if you do not have one. Review the information listed and submit the request.
Submitting an ILL request with QuickLoan is sometimes faster than waiting for the item to be returned. ILL delivery depends on the availability of the item and the policies of the lending library. Learn more about interlibrary loan.
Authorized borrowers for faculty and staff
Faculty and staff may designate individuals age 16 and up as authorized borrowers on their UH Libraries’ account.
Alumni and visitors
UH Alumni Association Cards grant alumni library borrowing privileges. Bring the card to the Service Desk in MD Anderson Library to create a library account. See library privileges for more information.
Visitors to the library are welcome to borrow items using any accepted outside borrowers cards.