Visiting Special Collections
The Special Collections Reading Room is open to the general public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m, Monday through Friday, and on Saturdays during the fall and spring semesters from noon to 4 p.m., excepting some holidays. Detailed hours can be found here.
Special Collections is located on the second floor of the M.D. Anderson Library. For a map and detailed directions, please see Maps & Directions. Visitors have a number of parking options, which are outlined at Parking on Campus.
Reading Room Policies
- All visitors using archival materials will be required to complete and sign a Patron Registration Form.
- All visitors must present valid photo ID in order to view books and archival collections.
- Lockers are available in our foyer area for visitor use at no charge.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Reading Room.
- Any purses or bags, including camera and computer bags, must be stored in a locker.
- Any coat or jacket that is not being worn must also be stored in a locker.
- Only pencils may be used in the Reading Room. The staff can provide a pencil.
- No books or notebooks are allowed except for those that are necessary for research.
- Computers are welcome in the Reading Room, and electrical outlets and wi-fi are available.
- Personal cameras are welcome in the Reading Room for the creation of images for private study and research only.
Out of Town Visitors
The closest airport to the University is Hobby Airport, which is located less than 10 miles south of campus. Hobby is served by five passenger airlines — AirTran, American, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue and Southwest. Houston’s larger airport, George Bush Intercontinental, is located approximately 25 miles north of campus.
The Hilton University of Houston hotel is located on campus. This full-service teaching hotel contains a restaurant and is conveniently located near the Library, the University Center, and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.
- For information about photocopies and digital scans, please visit On-Demand Digitization.
- For information about using the Special Collections classroom, please read about our Teaching & Learning program or contact Julie Grob.
- For questions about specific collections or subject areas, please refer to the chart below.
|Architecture & Planning||Stephen James|
|Carey C. Shuart Women’s Archive and Research Collection||Vince Lee|
|Contemporary Literature||Christian Kelleher|
|Hispanic Collections||Elizabeth Cruces|
|Houston & Texas History||Vince Lee|
|Houston Hip Hop||Julie Grob|
|Houston History Archives||Terry Tomkins-Walsh|
|KUHT Collection||Emily Vinson|
|Performing & Visual Arts||Mary Manning|
|Rare Books||Julie Grob|
|University Archives||Mary Manning|
|USS Houston & Military History||Christian Kelleher|