Visiting Special Collections
We are closed to drop-in visitors, but staff remain available to remotely support teaching, learning, and research activities. In-person access to Special Collections materials will be by appointment only.
To discuss your needs and available options, contact:
Head of Special Collections
Hours and location
Reading Room hours for the general public
(February 5 - February 11 )
Handling Archival Materials
Reading Room policies
- All visitors using archival materials must complete and sign a Patron Registration Form. A valid photo ID is required
- Computers are welcome in the Reading Room, and electrical outlets and wi-fi are available
- Cameras are welcome in the Reading Room for the creation of images for private study and research only
- Lockers are available in our foyer area for visitors at no charge
- Only pencils may be used in the Reading Room. The staff can provide a pencil
- No books or notebooks are allowed except for those that are necessary for research
- The following must be stored in a locker:
- Purses and bags
- Camera and computer bags
- Coats and jackets not being worn
- No food or drink is allowed in the Reading Room
Out of town visitors
The closest airport to the University is Hobby Airport, which is located less than 10 miles south of campus. Hobby is served by 6 passenger airlines — AirTran, American, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue and Southwest. Houston’s larger airport, George Bush Intercontinental, is located approximately 25 miles north of campus.
The Hilton University of Houston hotel is located on campus. This full-service teaching hotel is conveniently located near the library, the University Center, and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.
Request materials in advance
We are happy to pull materials and have them ready upon your arrival. Please contact the appropriate librarian to make arrangements.