Visiting Special Collections
The Special Collections reading room is open to all visitors. Appointments are not required but are strongly encouraged to ensure that limited research space is available, and so we can have requested collection materials prepared prior to your arrival. Information about collection materials can be found in our catalog and archival finding aid systems.
Special Collections is located on the 2nd floor of the MD Anderson Library on the University of Houston’s main campus at 4333 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204. For off-campus visitors, the recommended parking option is the Welcome Center Garage at 4434 University Drive (entry from MLK Boulevard near the stop sign), but metered parking may also be available. Links for maps and parking options can also be found below, as well as guidance on reading room policies and procedures.
For questions or any additional information, please contact:
Head of Special Collections
Hours and location
Reading Room hours for the general public
(February 25 - March 2 )
Handling Archival Materials
Reading Room policies
- All visitors using archival materials must complete and sign a Patron Registration Form. A valid photo ID is required
- Computers are welcome in the Reading Room, and electrical outlets and wi-fi are available
- Cameras are welcome in the Reading Room for the creation of images for private study and research only
- Lockers are available in our foyer area for visitors at no charge
- Only pencils may be used in the Reading Room. The staff can provide a pencil
- No books or notebooks are allowed except for those that are necessary for research
- The following must be stored in a locker:
- Purses and bags
- Camera and computer bags
- Coats and jackets not being worn
- No food or drink is allowed in the Reading Room
Out of town visitors
The closest airport to the University is Hobby Airport, which is located less than 10 miles south of campus. Hobby is served by 6 passenger airlines — AirTran, American, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue and Southwest. Houston’s larger airport, George Bush Intercontinental, is located approximately 25 miles north of campus.
The Hilton University of Houston hotel is located on campus. This full-service teaching hotel is conveniently located near the library, the University Center, and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.
Request materials in advance
We are happy to pull materials and have them ready upon your arrival. Please contact the appropriate librarian to make arrangements.