Nielsen data: Instructions
The University of Houston Libraries subscribes to the Nielsen marketing data from Marketing Data Center at Chicago Booth. The James M. Kilts Center for Marketing at Chicago Booth and the Nielsen Company have partnered to make several consumer marketing datasets available to US-based academic researchers.
The Consumer Panel Data include longitudinal data beginning in 2004 with annual updates. These data track a panel of 40,000 – 60,000 US households and their purchases of fast-moving consumer goods from a wide range of retail outlets across all US markets.Retail Scanner Data consist of weekly pricing, volume, and store environment information generated by point-of-sale systems from more than 90 participating retail chains across all US markets. Data begin in 2006 and include annual updates.
UH Libraries’ campus agreement has the following restrictions:
- For PhD students who plan to use the data, the student and the advisor are each required to register.
- A student in an undergraduate or masters program cannot be a registered under this Agreement with direct access to the Data; access for such students must be made through a faculty member Researcher who is registered with the Marketing Data Center and who indicates plans for directing and accepting direct responsibility for the student’s access in a classroom or independent study setting.
- Researchers will not transfer, sell, publish, redistribute or release or otherwise make available the Data, or any data contained therein, to any individual or third party who is not an employee, a faculty or staff member, or a student of UH, and that it will not re-transmit the same from its institution for any purpose, including re-transmission to another premises operated by UH without written permission from Chicago Booth.
- The Data may not be installed on personal systems (not institutionally owned) of faculty, staff, or students of the University of Houston.
- Data are provided on a “license to use” basis for a specific term, and that this license does not allow their use for private consulting or carry over to an individual’s engagement in activities for another entity or institution, or if the individual should leave UH, or if the license provided under the Agreement expires and is not renewed.
- The license to Data also does not carry over to or allow access and/or use by “co-authors” or “co-researchers” at other institutions, if the individual’s institution is not also a Licensee to the necessary Data.
- This license does not permit any users, with particular attention to users such as visiting and adjunct professors, or students engaged in part-time employment or alternate research at another firm, consortium, or institution, to utilize the Data in these alternate endeavors, nor does this license carry over to any form of joint venture or consortium to which the subscribing institution belongs.
Please choose an option below and follow the instructions to apply for access. The Kilts Center will review your project(s) and send you a final activation email along with steps for how to access the data.
Tenure/Tenure track faculty member
A student in an undergraduate or masters program cannot be a registered under this Agreement with direct access to the Data.