Nielsen data: Instructions
We subscribe to the Nielsen marketing dataset from Kilts Center for Marketing at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
Included in the Nielsen dataset:
- Consumer Panel Data: Longitudinal data beginning in 2004 with annual updates. Data tracks purchases of consumer goods of 40,000 to 60,000 U.S. households from a wide range of retail outlets across all U.S. markets
- Retail Scanner Data: Weekly pricing, volume, and store environment information generated by point-of-sale systems from more than 90 participating retail chains across all US markets. Data begin in 2006 and include annual updates
You must request access before accessing the Nielsen dataset.
Our campus agreement
Please read this agreement carefully before requesting access.
- Researchers will not transfer, sell, publish, redistribute, release, or otherwise make available the Nielsen dataset, or any data contained within, to any individual or third party not registered and approved by the Kilts Center for Marketing
- Researchers will not re-send the Nielsen dataset for any purpose, including for re-sending to other UH-operated premises, without written permission from Chicago Booth
- The Nielsen dataset may not be installed on personal systems (i.e., not institutionally owned) of UH employees, faculty, staff, or students
- The Nielsen dataset is provided to researchers on a “license to use” basis for specific research projects approved by Chicago Booth, and that this license does not allow its use
- For private consulting
- For any activities for another entity or institution other than UH
- If the individual leaves UH
- If the license provided under the Agreement expires and is not renewed
- The license does not carry over to or allow access and/or use by “co-authors” or “co-researchers” at other institutions, unless the individual’s institution is also a licensee to the necessary data
- The license does not allow users to use the Nielsen datasets in alternate endeavors, particularly:
- Visiting and adjunct professors
- Students involved in part-time employment or alternate research at another firm, consortium, or institution
- The license does not carry over to any form of joint ventures or consortium that UH belongs to
For PhD students and postdocs
- The student and their advisor must both request access to receive the Nielsen datasets
For master’s program and undergraduate students
- These students cannot register for direct access to the data under our agreement
- Review the campus agreement above
- Review the Nielsen data policies from the Kilts Center for Marketing
- Complete the request access form below
- After submitting the request access form, register with the Kilts Center for Marketing
- Under Country, select “United States”
- Under Institution, select “University of Houston main campus”
- Select “Go”
- On the institutional page, complete the fields under Request Access
- Select “Submit Request”
After both forms are submitted, Kilts Center for Marketing will review your project(s) and will email you with a registration code and additional instructions.
Select an option to begin the request access form.
These students cannot register for direct access to the data under this agreement.