Information Literacy Lessons
Interactive lessons to teach information literacy concepts and research skills.
There is a direct link and zip folder for each lesson.
- The viewing link can be added to Canvas or any teaching tool
- The zip folder can add the lesson to a Canvas course, which allows you to track students’ completion
All lessons have a completion screen that can be printed or screen-captured for proof-of-completion. Lessons include video, audio, images, text, online/offline activities.
How to add a library lesson to a Canvas course (PDF, 152KB)
Research question development
How to turn an interesting topic into a solid research question for a paper, project, or presentation. Undergraduate-level, but usable at all levels.
- Know Want To Know worksheet (.docx)
- Pre-search Graphic Organizer (.docx)
- Brainstorming Research Questions worksheet (.docx)
Search terms and strategies
Developing search terms and strategies to create effective searches for finding sources.
Evaluating information sources
How to evaluate information based on its appropriateness to an information need, whether for a real-life scenario or an academic project.
- Source Evaluation worksheet (.docx)
Different ways to incorporate sources into assignments, including quoting, paraphrasing, and summarizing, as well as the importance of citing sources used.
This lesson also requires that students have an article, either one they’ve chosen or one assigned by the instructor, to practice paraphrasing and summarizing.
- Paraphrase Summary worksheet (.docx)
Analyzing visual media
Applying rhetorical strategies to analyze visual media sources in order to think critically about the media we interact with on a regular basis.
- Analyzing Visual Media worksheet (.docx)
Find, Access, and Cite Data
Learn how to find, access, and cite data needed for your research.
- Find, Access, and Cite Worksheet (.docx)
Introduction to Data
This lesson is an introduction to working with data. This lesson includes video, audio, images, and text, and a mix of online and offline interactive activities.
Learn to evaluate the quality of data and datasets available online.
- Evaluating Data Worksheet (.docx)
Introduction to Data Visualization
Learn the basics of data visualization creation and evaluation