UH Libraries Code of Conduct
All UH Libraries users should have:
- Safe, clean, and welcoming spaces
- Access to collections, equipment, and services for academic purposes such as research and coursework, or an ability to obtain them as allowed
- Privacy and confidentiality in their use of library collections and services
All UH Libraries users are subject to this and all applicable codes of conduct, e.g., the Student Code of Conduct.
- Users are expected to comply with staff requests and directives. In accordance with University policy, library staff or security officers can compel users to present identification upon request.
- Courteous and respectful behavior is expected. Examples of inappropriate behavior include but are not limited to excessive noise from loud voices or mobile devices; rowdiness; abusive language; rearranging of furniture that obstructs pathways or access to materials; inappropriate use of equipment and computers; and offensive sexual behavior.
- Flyers and other print announcements may be posted on the designated bulletin board at the front of MD Anderson Library. Those posted elsewhere will be removed in the course of cleaning. Solicitation or proselytizing activity of any type must take place outside MD Anderson Library, and must be in compliance with applicable University policies.
- Users are expected to be clothed in a safe and sensible manner (shirts and shoes required), and free of any offensive body odor or strong fragrances or perfumes. Those with poor personal hygiene or other disruptive odors may be asked to leave.
- Library users are asked to help maintain a clean, pest-free environment – trash and recycling must be disposed of in the appropriate containers.
- To ensure the safety of personal belongings, users are advised to keep laptops, backpacks, and other personal property with them or properly secured at all times. UH Libraries is not responsible for personal property left unattended.
- For personal safety, sleeping in UH Libraries is not recommended.
Food and Drink
Food and drink are permitted on all floors except near computers.
Abuse of Library Collections, Equipment, or Facilities
Library users are expected to treat all library collections, equipment, and facilities with respect. Intentional or reckless behavior that results in damage to University property is prohibited by Section 3.3 of the UH Student Code of Conduct and in some cases may be a violation of Texas state law.
Damage to library collections, equipment, or facilities may result in charges for repair or replacement, suspension of library privileges, or referral to University or legal authorities, as appropriate.
UH Libraries strives to provide materials in an equitable manner to all users. Intentionally preventing others from using library materials is considered an abuse of privileges and a violation of this policy.
Examples of prohibited behavior include but are not limited to:
- Writing in or on library materials or equipment, or on facility walls, fixtures, or furniture
- Careless or reckless behavior that results in damage such as throwing, sitting or stepping on, or allowing materials or equipment to become wet
- Leaving library materials or equipment unattended
- Removing library materials, fixtures, furniture, or equipment from the library building, unless intended to circulate outside the library and appropriately checked out
- Deliberately misplacing materials or equipment within the library to prevent use by other users
Use of Electronic/Digital Resources
Scanning, Copying, and Copyright
Use of UH Libraries print and scan equipment is expected to comply with US copyright law, UH Libraries policies, and those listed in the Student Handbook. For more information, see Copyright and Fair Use for Reserves.
- Observe all appropriate federal and state laws, local ordinances, Student Code of Conduct, and other University policies that guide behavior on campus, such as the expectations of students for a conducive learning environment.
- University of Houston is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking, including the use of electronic cigarettes, is prohibited in UH Libraries.
- Filming and photography in the Libraries must have prior approval.
- Only service animals are permitted in UH Libraries.
- Users must abide by the Campus Carry Policy.