Textbooks, class readings, and other course-related materials are held by the library via course reserves.
The list of all items on reserve for a course is found on Canvas.
Any electronic resources on reserve are accessible there.
Books and other physical items on reserve are available by request in the location listed on Canvas.
Location short codes:
AN = MD Anderson Library
AR = Architecture, Design, & Art Library
MU = Music Library
OP = Health Sciences Library
- Go the location listed and request the item at the service desk
- Please have the item title, course number, or the instructor’s name when requesting a reserve item
- Most reserve items must stay in the library and check out for 3 hours and have $1/hour overdue fines
- Reserves that may leave the library check out for 2 days, depending on the item, and $3/day overdue fines
- There are no renewals on reserve items
Scans or copies of a reserve item can be made using scanners and photocopiers. Please observe copyright law when making copies or scans of reserves items.
For faculty & instructors
Faculty can access reserves in CANVAS to manage materials and post electronic items. Step-by-step instructions with screenshots (PDF, 1.5MB)
To activate your course reserves within CANVAS:
- Log in to CANVAS
- Select the course (Published or Unpublished) you wish to add Course Reserves to Select “Course Navigation,” (left menu bar) then select “Course Reserves.”
- From the [Choose a semester] drop-down menu, select the semester you wish to activate. Then click on [Create Course].
- The Course Reserves (Ares) interface will be displayed. Your course is now active.
To add items to your course:
- Click “Add Reserve Item” to open the form.
- Select the type of item you wish to place on Reserves (Article, Book Chapter, Book, etc.).
- Complete at least the required fields, then click [Submit Item]. If you have the item electronically already, you will have an opportunity to upload the file at this time.
- Items will be reviewed by Course Reserves staff and will be made visible once they have been approved.
For physical materials (or scans of physical materials), request the items to placed on reserve here. You can bring your own materials to the library or have staff pull items off the shelf or obtain them from other sources.
Read the full UH Libraries reserve policy for more information.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for specific questions on reserves or using the reserves system
General reserve questions:
MD Anderson Library Service Desk
For reserve materials located at subject branches, please contact the appropriate location:
- Music Library (713) 743-3197
- Health Sciences Library (713) 743-1910
- Architecture and Art Library (713) 743-2340