Textbooks, class readings, and other course-related materials are held by the library via course reserves.
The list of all items on reserve for a course is found on Blackboard.
Any electronic resources on reserve are accessible there.
Books and other physical items on reserve are available by request in the location listed on Blackboard.
Location short codes:
AN = MD Anderson Library
AR = Architecture, Design, & Art Library
MU = Music Library
OP = Health Sciences Library
- Go the location listed and request the item at the service desk
- Please have the item title, course number, or the instructor’s name when requesting a reserve item
- Most reserve items must stay in the library and check out for 3 hours and have $1/hour overdue fines
- Reserves that may leave the library check out for 2 days, depending on the item, and $3/day overdue fines
- There are no renewals on reserve items
For faculty & instructors
Faculty can access reserves in Blackboard to manage materials and post electronic items.
- Log in to Blackboard
- Select a course
- Select “Content” from the left menu
- Select “Tools” > “More Tools” > “Course Reserves” (from the menu in the middle of the page)
- Select options such as “Link Name, “Color of Name,” and any additional text needed
- Click “Submit” at the bottom right of the page. BlackBoard will create a Course Reserves link for your page
- Click the new “Course Reserves” link you just created
- From the “Choose a Semester” drop-down menu, select the term you want, then click the “Create Course” button
- The reserves management system (Ares) appears within Blackboard
- Select “Add Reserve Items” from the “Instructor Course Tools” section to add materials to your course.
Faculty may place file uploads or URLs on reserve.
For physical materials (or scans of physical materials), request the items to placed on reserve here. You can bring your own materials to the library or have staff pull items off the shelf.
Read the full UH Libraries reserve policy for more information.
General reserve questions:
MD Anderson Library Service Desk
Specific questions on reserves or using the reserves system:
For reserve materials located at subject branches, please contact the appropriate location: